
anyways- last night i FINALLY was able to finish wally lamb's i know this much is true - all 890some pages of it. i figured since i'm unemployed, have no bedtime to respect, and could sleep in as late as i wanted... that it was the perfect oppertunity to pop open a bottle of pinot, curl up on the couch, and read my little heart out.
when it comes down to it- where am I even supposed start when reviewing this book? WOW. i think a lot of people will pass this one up because of it's resemblence to a phonebook, but... PLEASE DON'T! it is absolutly worth the time spent reading.
essentially, this book follows the lives of, identical twins, thomas and dominick birdsey, as told by dominick. i know this much is true starts in the middle of a life shaking drama, takes the reader back to when the boys were children, and then works it's way back to present time... a sort of telling us how things "came to be". most notably, that thomas developed schitzophrenia and dominick did not. the meat of the story is far to complicated for me to adequatly summarize here... but let's just leave it at, i've NEVER read a book with such beautifully/flawlessly written in-depth character development- and that's really an understatment.
this is one of those reads that stays with you long after you've finished the last chapter. take the time, pick it up, fall in love- i promise you won't regret it.
next up is... i have no idea. i think i'm going to need to take a bit of a reading hiatus- whatever i pick up next is going to pale in comparrison. maybe i should break with some fluff? i'm not really a fan of fluff... when there are so many phenominally written books out there, why waste my time, but... meh, we all need fluff sometimes, right?

Fluff serves its purpose. Glad you stole my idea - I love reading book reviews as well. Maybe try something like the one I just reviewed - you know going into it that it won't be a five star read, but it's a good transition book.
ReplyDeletesounds like a good book! i don't know if i could read that many pages though...that is a.lot!
ReplyDelete*uncorked- i think that's exactly what i'm going to do. i have a few on my shelf that i picked up out of barnes & noble's bargain bin... may as well give them a shot!
ReplyDeleteannie- give it a go! i thought the same thing when i first picked it up. but, it was recommened by a friend who's taste in books i 155% trust.. SO glad i listened to her!
I just won this book on a blog and I am so excited about reading it. I first heard of it on your blog a few weeks ago (I think) and now I get to read it. I am so excited!
ReplyDeleteyou'll love it :) i'm excited that you won it and will be reading it!!
ReplyDeleteWell as I'm now also unemployed...perhaps I will pick this bad boy up at the library. I've read Wally Lamb before and loved his writing! Thanks for the tip.
ReplyDeleteI gave you an award! Come collect it from my blog.
ReplyDeleteI say "go for the fluff" - lately I can't seem to concentrate on anything BUT fluff :D
ReplyDeleteI think this is one of my all time favorite books. So good!
ReplyDelete